Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pace

So I am not that slow....but I am slow. Since April, I think my pace has improved just a little bit. My endurance has definitely increased and till date my longest run has been 10 miles. But my pace is still slow. My first 2 miles are usually good with a pace of 11 min/mile. But after that I average out between 12.5-13 min/mile. Initially this bothered me a lot. I would get frustrated and try to run faster, but that just tired me out and I would not complete the distance. But after talking to a lot of people, I realized that marathons are about distance and endurance. 26.2 miles is a lot and the only way I will be able to finish it is by running at a comfortable pace. So now my aim is to finish the marathon. I don't care how much time I will take to finish as long as I can keep the total time below 6.5 hrs.

Whats most important is that I enjoy my training (seriously....did I just write that?!?) and my runs! Yeah, I do enjoy them, although I am secretly cursing myself during the long runs as to what hit me in the head that I am torturing myself!

But what I enjoy the most of all this training, is the time with the people whom I am training with. I have met so many amazing people through the Team AIDAsha. Some people have run for these organizations more than one time. Their passion towards social causes and the personal will to push themselves to their limit is a source of inspiration for me. The mentors never fail to motivate me. So many of us first-timers push each other and keep everyone going.....the camaraderie is amazing! Well, when we all are committed to torturing ourselves, it is so much easier to joke about failures and successes!

Todays run:
Distance: 4 miles
Time: 48 mins
Pace: 12 mins/mile
Ran on the treadmill in the morning as it was too humid outside even at 5:00 in the morning! Yes, I am an early riser and usually do my weekday runs in the early morning!

2 comments:

A penny for your thoughts.....