Thursday, July 22, 2010

7/20 and 7/21

Yesterday was a big fail in terms of running. I got up early in the morning, changed, filled my bottle, put on my shoes and I don't know what hit me. I was so groggy with sleep, that I just took my shoes out and went back to bed. Bad...bad...bad girl! Even later during the day, I could not focus in the lab. Somehow I managed to go through all experiments planned for the day without mishap, but never got around to reading some literature that I have been putting off, or drafting some letters, or reviewing some papers, or working on a hypothesis for a fellowship application. So apart from bench work, I was very unproductive in lab and also irritated that I did not run in the morning.

I tried to make up for the morning run and ran in the evening. Ran on the treadmill again as it seemed that it was going to pour outside. Mid-way through mile 2, my left knee started hurting real bad. Tried walking for a bit and then resume running, but it just kept hurting. I am really scared of having long-term injuries, so I could not ignore that pain and had to call it quits for the day. Decided I would try again tomorrow morning and if the pain persisted, I would contact my PCP about going to a physical therapist. So overall, yesterday was a big fail!

But thankfully, today morning was much better. It was not hot and humid, so I ran outside. There was a light breeze and I enjoyed my run too! The knee did not hurt, I wonder if it was specific to running on a treadmill?
But I was glad that I could finish the run without pain.

One of the runners from the team is already injured. He got injured while cross-training. I feel so bad for him and hope that he gets better soon. The coach immediately sent us all a message about how we need to be cautious about over-exertion and injuries. I just hope the whole team stays injury free and can successfully complete the marathon.

7/20/2010
Distance: 1.5 miles
Time: 18 mins
Pace: 12 miles/min

7/21/2010
Distance: 5.5 miles
Time: 70 mins
Pace: 12.7 miles/min

3 comments:

  1. Was your knee hurting in front or at the side? If the pain is on the side, then it sounds like an ITB pain. Don't worry - it's very common in runners and will get much better as your legs get stronger. I would suggest getting a foam roller if you don't already have one. It's so good for post run recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ketki,
    It was a weird pain...not from the side. Thankfully it has not come back again. My gym does have the foam roller...I just have to start using it :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much easier to comment here than vox! Don't be so hard on yourself! Everyone has their off days my over-achieving sister and that is fine.

    You rise in your nephews esteem everyday. Today he asks me, if maushi can run so much, why can't you at least walk as fast as Baba and me?

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts.....