Sunday, September 26, 2010

Getting there......

We are at the tail end of our training. Just 4 weeks to go. Two weeks of long runs (15 plus miles) and then two weeks of moderate runs (less than 10 miles) and then the longest run ever on Oct 31st.

The long distances are tiring me out now. I just managed 15 miles yesterday when the goal was 20. I had decided my run yesterday would be with a smile on my face. The weather was so uncooperative. Just when you thought Fall had descended on New England, the as always predicatably unpredictable  New England weather creeps up and bestows us with a hot and humid day.

Amol was not biking along yesterday. The first two miles were very hard as I tried to get adjusted to the weather. I had an upbeat playlist and the smile on my face as company. Gave myself an imaginary pat on the back as I conquered every mile. Till mile 12, I was feeling great. At around mile 14, I stopped to stretch. I felt my upper body was too stiff, so I wanted to just do a couple of quick back and shoulder stretches. And while doing that, I pulled a muscle in my back. The pain seared through my back and I could feel the tightness. So I partly jogged, partly walked and partly hobbled to mile 15 and stopped. When I came to the 15 mile water stop, I found a few other fellow runners who had stopped. They just did not feel up to it to finish the next 5 miles. You could clearly tell that the long runs were getting to us.

I was a little disappointing that I did not finish 20 miles, but was also satisfied with my 14 miles. I had a smile till the end and was feeling good but for the muscle pull.  I knew that I could not have run with the muscle pull. I iced it as soon as I got home. Amol massaged it out a bit and after a nights rest, it is good to go today. 20 miles....I will get to you next week!

Did you all notice the school bus! It now has two kids in it. We are getting close to our target and just a little more and we will have the third kid also in the bus!

                   Thank You everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts.....